Understanding How a Workplace Injury Lawyer Can Help You
Injured workers have rights to compensation for their suffering if another party’s negligence or recklessness contributed to the accident. Work injury lawyer David A. Cardon has been fighting for victims who were hurt on-the-job for over 20 years. His Virginia Beach, VA, practice, Cardon Law, is committed to working compassionately with clients and representing them aggressively against at-fault parties. Call (757) 306-9060 or schedule a complimentary consultation online to learn more about your right to compensation.
The Prevalence of On-the-Job Accidents
Unfortunately, millions of non-fatal workplace injuries and illnesses are reported by private industry employers each year. Many of these injuries are also so severe that they result in fatalities.
Unlike workers' compensation, personal injury damages extend to include non-economic areas of recovery, such as emotional pain and suffering.
Types of Workplace Injuries
The Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries Report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics sheds light on these worrisome trends. It found that industries with the most fatalities in 2016 included construction, transportation and warehousing, and agriculture and related jobs. Common injuries include:
- Construction Accidents: At construction sites, scaffolding falls are a common injury. According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), most workers blamed the incident on structural setup, including planking or supports giving way, or to the employee slipping or being struck by a falling object.
- Faulty Equipment: Faulty equipment is another common cause of on-the-job accidents, and could be the fault of the manufacturer in producing an unsafe product. Other times, the employer is to blame for not using equipment as intended, not following maintenance or safety protocols, or not training employees properly on equipment use. Power tools, ladders, platforms, and electrical systems are frequently involved in faulty equipment accidents.
- Accidents Involving Forklifts: Forklift accidents on construction sites are another often avoidable problem, granted an employer followed OSHA-mandated precautions. A noteworthy contributor to forklift accidents is not providing workers with site-specific operator training.
- Highway Construction Workers: The risk for injury or death that construction zone highway workers face can be significantly reduced if the employer follows required safety protocols. Sadly, all too often, safety standards are compromised with catastrophic consequence.
The severe nature of these incidents can have life-changing repercussions. You need an attorney to ensure your rights are protected and that you can focus on healing.
How Cardon Law Can Help
Mr. Cardon has developed a reputation as a dependable and hard-working lawyer, and has a proven track record of securing just settlements and verdicts for his clients. He can help with:
- Establishing liability to determine whether another person or party’s negligence led to your injury, such as your employer or a parts manufacturer, and who should be held financially accountable.
- Helping you secure medical care, and communicating with your doctor to obtain the necessary information to substantiate your case and calculate losses.
- Quantifying your losses, both present and future, to ensure you receive compensation to cover ongoing medical care and other accident-related costs.
Why File a Personal Injury Claim?
Collecting compensation through a personal injury case, instead of worker's compensation, is often recommended. Worker's compensation covers areas such as current and future medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and loss of wages. In contrast, personal injury extends to include non-economic areas of recovery, such as emotional pain and suffering.
Determine Your Next Steps
Do not settle for less than your case is worth. Find out if you have rights to damages for your work-related accident or illness, and learn more about The Cardon Difference today. Book your free case review or call the firm at (757) 306-9060.
At the heart of this practice, we are improving people's lives everyday. My clients often have their job, their assets, and their quality of life residing on these cases, which is why success is not just important, but absolutely crucial.David A. Cardon PC